SERNANP: GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR THE PRESERVATION OF PROTECTED AREAS
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
SERNANP is a government agency in charge of preserving the protected area of the Cotahuasi Canyon in Peru. Cotahuasi Canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the world. It is an impressive chasm eroded between two enormous mountain ranges.
Volunteers can choose among different areas of work according to their interests:
1. Development of activities to promote awareness and involvement of children and schools in the protection of the environment.
2. Research about the use of the soil and the state of the preservation of the ecosystems in the area.
3. Marketing research to promote local products.
4. Development of strategies to promote the involvement of local communities in the preservation of the environment.
5. Study to identify potential touristic routes to promote tourism in this area.
FEES: ONE TIME DONATION
Volunteers give a donation of $230 when they arrive in Arequipa. Your donation is our only source of funding to support our projects. We use
this money to take the children to the doctor, buy eyeglasses, purchase books, school supplies, educational toys, and materials for our
workshops (Manicure, knitting, sewing, etc.). We are also building a day care center in Achambi, a hamlet on top of the Andean mountains and we will use your donation to purchase furniture, blankets, books and educational games for this center.
As a volunteer or an intern, what exactly do you get for $230?
We believe having happy, properly prepared, and well-supported volunteers is vital to our mission.
We also know that our volunteers want to be as effective as possible at having a positive impact
in the community. To help them do that, we have a hardworking team, including our Volunteer
Coordinator, Dayana, and our Project Coordinator, José Manuel. We provide:
· Personalized service during your application process and before arrival.
· Our Volunteer Coordinator is available 24/7 as your local emergency contact.
· An induction/training session upon arrival, before starting your placement.
· Access to our office where you can plan activities and use the computer
· DIscount rates at our hostels and field trips.
· Volunteers Peru T-shirt.
· A certificate and reference letter on successful completion of your placement.
. Supervision and evaluation by SERNANP for academic internships.
WHAT OTHER EXPENSES SHOULD I EXPECT?
There are several hostels in Cotahuasi. The price rages between 20-40 soles per day/ $6.5 to $13 per day.
Eating is very inexpensive. A lunch or dinner menu at a restaurant (2 courses, dessert and beverage) costs from 7 soles to 10 soles ($2 to $3).
A budget of $7 a day is more than enough.